Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Of Mice and Hamsters

Nancy's cat Jake passed away. He was 20 years old. I think the girls took it kind of hard. They had a nice funeral in the backyard but I heard that her littlest daughter wanted to dig him back up because she missed him dearly.

So now there is a new addition to her family and it is a dwarf hamster named Tiny. I don't know much about hamsters. We had one as kids but I was too young to really remember. Nancy recommended this book which is all about dwarf hamsters.



Meanwhile we have been reading Petshop Lullaby by Mary Ann Fraser. It's nighttime in the pet shop but the littlest hamster can't sleep. The animals try everything to soothe and calm him. In the end they discover that he likes to sleep in the daytime. It's a great way to teach kids about nocturnal creatures. I wonder if Tiny's keeping Nancy up at night too? My little guy has a new tooth coming in so I'm there with you!

Since we're on the subject of cute rodents I must share this adorable blog I just found called Mouses Houses . Isn't it amaaaazing?!
Seems we have a soft spot for mice. Here's a few of our past book reviews on mice to check out: Mary and the Mouse the Mouse and Mary, Chopsticks, Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears and Miss Bianca.

6 comments:

  1. I love that image on the front cover of Pet Shop Lullaby with the mum holding the book upside down - i'm so tired at the moment it's the sort of thing I've been doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of books about mice...not really sure where that interest came from, but "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" is my favorite children's book. Looking forward to checking out the Mouses Houses page, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific post! Loved the recommendation for Pet Shop Lullaby, the smile-inducing hamster photo and the links...the art at MousesHouses is phenomenal! Thank you for all you share.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your thoughts : )