Saturday, July 11, 2009

She's Lost Her Head

Summer has become a blur of raising young children and navigating the details involved with a new business venture. It seems the last few days I've been bumping up against images of headless dolls, and the Red Queen. My three year old exclaimed very matter of factly, "Yes well, she's lost her head." I took that as a metaphorical reflection of my personality the past week. Children know us and test us. It's their job.
"The Gryphon sat up and rubbed its eyes: then it watched the Queen till she was out of sight: then it chuckled. 'What fun!' said the Gryphon, half to itself, half to Alice.

'What is the fun?' said Alice

'Why she,' said the Gryphon. 'It's all her fancy, that: they never executes nobody, you know. Come on!'"
- Lewis Carrol


The photo is from Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland due out in March. Burton's fiance, Helena Bonham Carter plays the Red Queen. We won't be taking the kiddos to see this film, but I'm looking forward to it. BTW late in the evening when all the household mess is somewhat cleared I've been escaping the noise and clutter with Olive Kitteridge . It's terrific summer reading.

3 comments:

  1. I'm feeling a little headless too these days...my belly has taken over!!!!
    That is a wacky, wild image of the Queen of Hearts. Can't wait to see the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one fascinating image, I can't keep my eyes of her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Aileen- they've done an amazing job with the makeup and special effects for this image and Just what you'd expect from a Tim Burton production.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your thoughts : )