Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hedgehogs

When I was a little girl, I carried this tiny Steiff hedgehog around with me everywhere. He traveled in my pocket and lived in a shoebox house. I was crazy about hedgehogs and still am. I even recently considered getting one to keep as a pet but as they are mostly nocturnal, I think the poor fella wouldn't be able to sleep at all in this house!

For my birthday, N sent me Hedgehog, Pig, and the Sweet Little Friend by Lena Anderson. It's the sweet story about a little piglet named Fia who is lost. She knocks on the door of Mama Hedgehog who takes her inside, feeds her soup and makes up a bed. In the morning, Pig (a good friend of Mama Hedgehog) helps her find her Mama who owns the village Bakery. Mama pig rewards him with 100 sweet rolls. And Ooh La la! Pig falls in love with Fia and they walk down a cupcake aisle into a heart shaped sunset. Did I mention how Sweet this story is?! And it rhymes too.

Lena Anderson's cozy watercolor illustrations make me want to relocate my family to a little village like this one somewhere in Europe. One with a great bakery on the corner. Now it's time for a cup of tea and a sweet roll dream........


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your thoughts : )