Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I've been noticing lately how my skin is not as elastic as it used to be or how I've lost that sense of youthful reckless abandon (probably a good thing.) I flash forward, first to my kids as teenagers and then as young mothers, or not.

And then there is, My Little Grandmother Often Forgets by Reeve Lindbergh, illustrated by Kathryn Brown. Yes this book is lightly about Alzheimer's. There is a good review over at The PlanetEsme to check out. The illustrations of the grandmother character remind me of Shirley MacLaine. But I digress.

Anyway, the story is told in rhyme from the perspective of the grandson who spends a lot of time with his grandmother making sure she finds her misplaced items, buying groceries, helping her get home and basically keeping her safe. In the end she moves in with the family. This is a wonderful book to discuss with children. What happens when people get old? Because I'll never get old. What responsibility do we have to our aging parents? The author Reeve Lindbergh, is the daughter of Anne Morrow and Charles Lindbergh. I wrote a post some time ago about one of my favorite books by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea. Reeve has written a touching introduction for the 50th Anniversary Edition of that book. I'll have to check out My Hippie Grandmother, Reeve's previous book. Here's a sweet review at the blog Creation Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your thoughts : )