Tuesday, December 4, 2007

'Tis the Season

As the stresses and joys of the season start to mount, I find a good cathartic cry quite necessary. That said, here's my top 5 list of movies that will make any parent weep. Notice that all of these movies were novels first- and very well adapted I might add. If you have a favorite good cry movie or favorites be sure to post them in the comments.

Tis the time to snuggle on the sofa with hot chocolate or a bottle of wine and get lost in the movies for a couple of hours. BTW I believe these movies are rated R so make sure the kids are sleeping. Can you tell I haven't been to the movie theater in a while? Well, some of them are old enough, you may not have seen one or two. And, if you prefer to snuggle in and read, a real luxury for me, try paperbackswap.com. I joined this book club about six months ago and it's been great to trade my old novels for books I intend to read. The library only lets me renew them twice as you know.

1. Sophie's Choice (Meryl Streep)

2. Cold Mountain (Nicole Kidman and Jude Law)

3. A River Runs Through It (Brad Pitt)

4. The World According to Garp (Robin Williams)

5. The Ice Storm (Sigorney Weaver)

And switching the subject from movies back to books and blogs-
the blog, Uncommon Grace, is so beautiful I'm in awe. Grace includes lists and links to favorite picture books and parenting books. It's full of lovely photographs of flowers, family, art crafts, poetry.... Really, you must check it out from one picture book lover to another.

I got the Sundance catalogue in the mail last week (I really need to get off those catalog lists. I recycle but the waste and byproduct... discussion for another time.) and I saw they're selling one of my favorite Christmastime books, Snowmen at Night. "Snuggle in, wee one and grown up alike, for a spirited read." Proof again that picture books are not just for kids! I also love Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner and Mark Buehner. There are just some books I can't wait to read over and over at bedtime.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Great list of movies! i'd like to add another tear jerker for Moms: Woman Under the Influence by John Cassavetes...my all time favorite!
    Thanks,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your thoughts : )