Friday, February 10, 2012

If you Listen - Zolotow

I had to post this now as it is such a coincidence. Another Zolotow/Vitale now out of print 2002 reissue found its way to our store and will soon go to a home where it is needed. *Other Zolotow/Vitale books are: When the Wind Stops and The Sleepy Book Kim just wrote about.

If You Listen is a calm and spiritual story that
reassures little ones about loss. In Zolotow's spare lyrical prose, a little girl asks her mother, how do I know father loves me if I can't see him or feel his hugs? Through the pages, her mother assures her that if she listens inside herself, "like the rustle of birds in the leaves of the trees or like a boat whistle in the fog, she will feel someone very far away sending love to her."

Recently a friend lost her husband suddenly. They have two little girls who don't yet understand that their father is not coming home. I hope this serene illustrated story will help her show her children that their father is always there inside them sending love to them.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a coincidence! I really like the beautiful illustrations by Vitale too.

    I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose a husband and father. My heart goes out to their family with well wishes that they will make it through the life changes without him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she is really strong to carry on through this difficult time. I hope the story helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as a careful browse I thought it was really enlightening.
    I take pleasure in you taking the time and effort to put this blog post together.
    I once again discover me personally spending way to much time both reading and leaving comments.
    Todaydownload

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your thoughts : )