Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ladybug Girl



When I was a little girl, I was very much like this character in Ladybug Girl. When my older siblings didn't want to play with me, I would go out into the backyard or the reservoir behind our house and create my own adventures. Bug Girl would have been a great name for me, as I loved to feed the hungry anthill mobs crushed sugar cubes, rescue bees from the swimming pool and collect caterpillars from the grape vines to place in screened jars.

Artist David Soman and author Jacky Davis are a husband-and-wife picture book creating team. This is their first project together which was inspired by their youngest daughter. It's a fun read with whimsical illustrations of a little girl who creates her own adventures to become a superhero to the bugs after she is told that she is "too little" by her older brother.

Published by Penguin's Dial Books in 2008, I am already looking forward to the sequel, Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy to be released this year.

3 comments:

  1. That looks like such a fun book. The illustration you have shown looks so much like the little old-fashioned pixies my grandma has in her house. I must see more! This looks like a good "it's warming up outside" kind of book to get my kids going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fun book! I loved playing with bugs as a kid, mostly ants and grasshoppers. My daughter loves ladybugs and ants.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your thoughts : )